Saturday, May 21, 2011

Whatever happened to Andrew Meyer?

Andrew Meyer
Whatever happened to who? you're probably asking.

Come on! Surely you remember Andrew Meyer!

Maybe this video will refresh your memory.




That's right. Andrew Meyer will forever be remembered as the guy who, at a student forum at the University of Florida in 2007, coined the immortal phrase, "Don't tase me bro!"

Here's how the Miami Herald's Marty Merzer began his account of the incident:
By Phil Long, Jennifer Mooney Piedra and Martin Merzer

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - “We hold these truths to be self-evident.”

“Four score and seven years ago.”

And now, add this to the lexicon of American democracy:

“Don’t Tase me, bro. Don’t Tase me.”

Andrew Meyer, the University of Florida student from Weston who tested the limits of free speech during an address by Sen. John Kerry, walked out of jail Tuesday and into cyberspace history-an instant, if likely fleeting, celebrity…
Merzer told me by email that it was "one of my favorite ledes....I actually laughed out loud when I saw what my fingers typed..."

Today, the Washington Post reports that Meyer
"...graduated in August 2008, but instead of pursuing a career in journalism, the telecommunications major enrolled in Florida International University’s law school.

“I got a taste of the system,” says Meyer, who is in his second year. The experience made him “want to know how to defend myself. Want to be able to help people.”
One legal blogger is thinking ahead to the day when Meyer hangs out his shingle and starts running TV ads.
I’m rooting for Meyer for one reason and one reason only: his television lawyer ad will be top material. There are so many possibilities:


  • “They tased me, but I won’t let them tase you, bro.”

  • “Have you been tased? Call me once you are grounded enough to use a cell phone.”

  • “I’ll get tased so you get paid.”

  • Footnote: Meyer, it should be noted, has one of the most hideous websites on the Internet.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Feel free to comment on anything you read here.

    All comments must first be approved. Spam and spam links will not be tolerated or approved.