Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Caliente unveils its first ever, 'La chica CALIENTE de la semana'

Ever since word leaked out 10 days ago that el Nuevo Herald was close to launching a Spanish-language tabloid called "Caliente," the topic of conversation from every mostrador and dulceria on Calle Ocho to every bodega and botanica in Hialeah was this: "Who will be the first Chica Caliente of the Week?"

Well, today we learned who the lucky lady is.

Somehow, Herald columnist Fabiola Santiago was picked as Caliente's first "Chica Caliente."

Long-time el Nuevo reader Juan Reyes told me by phone, "If this is their idea of a joke, then it's a sick and twisted joke."

"This was to be a historic and proud moment for Miami's Cuban community, and the Caliente editors ruined it," said Reyes, who sounded as if he was on the verge of tears.

Reyes continued, "Miami is home to some of the most beautiful Hispanic women in this hemisphere...and they picked her?"


Click here to enlarge.


Meanwhile, on the English-language side of the newsroom, Herald managing editor Rick Hirsch was also irate, but for different reasons.

In an email exchange with Random Pixels, Hirsch told me:
Thanks, Bill, for bringing this new publication to my attention.

I think I'd recently heard something about Caliente, but, as you know, I have a full-time job keeping my side of the newsroom afloat, so I really didn't pay much attention. (Just between you and me, I've never understood much of what goes on at el Nuevo Herald. They actually cover news over there, and we...well, you know.)

But this Caliente publication does nothing but make a mockery of the high standards of journalism we try to uphold here at the Herald every single day. (We have 20 Pulitzer Prizes, you know. )

Using scantily-clad models to lure readers is about as sleazy as it gets.

By the way, Bill...take a look at our latest house ad (attached below) and let me know what you think. As you know, there's no one in Miami whose opinion I value more than yours.

Regards,

Rick

P.S. Let's do lunch real soon.


Click here to enlarge.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on anything you read here.

All comments must first be approved. Spam and spam links will not be tolerated or approved.