Monday, February 16, 2009

Blogging 101...things I've learned this week

I'm new to blogging. I've only been doing this for a year or so.

But there are a few things I'm pretty sure of.

First, as I've said many times, no one ever changed a thing by blogging.

Ditto for changing any one's mind.

People, I believe, tend to frequent blogs that reflect their views. I watch Keith Olbermann and someone else listens to Rush Limbaugh.

Second, I'm guessing the great majority of computer owners never even visit a blog. In the grand scheme of things bloggers and blog readers are a minority.

Third, unless you are a very skilled writer, things you post on a blog may not come across to the reader as you intended them. I don't claim to be a skilled writer.

Fourth, I've found that people tend to see only what they want to see in a written piece to the exclusion of everything else. Like those inkblot tests; blog posts are open to different interpretations on occasion depending on the reader, no matter how clearly the post was written. One person sees an elephant, another sees a cockatoo.

Lastly, while I'm not apologizing for anything - or retracting one word - I've written in the past week, I think that a few people need to lighten up a bit.

I've written several thousand words on the Babalu/SFDB contretemps, but the only words a few unenlightened readers have focused on are "bomb thrower and anthrax mailers."

One person posted this on another blog: "I’m not sure accusing someone falsely of several crimes publically [sic] is protected by the first amendment - is it?

“bomb-throwing, anthrax-mailing, ”

That’s the part that Random Pixels will probably lose the case on. Considering the fact that Babalu can point to quite a few citations in credible news sources they probably have a pretty good case for defamation."


Please! If one goes back and carefully re-reads my posts, one can see that I'm using a bit of hyperbole with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Remember what I said about people seeing only what they want to see?

I don't forsee this ever going to court, but if it does I'll vigorously defend myself.

The folks at Babalu planted the seeds of hate long ago. And this week they have reaped what they have sown. A quick visit to Babalu will confirm the old adage: "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

And the person who threatened me with a lawsuit probably expected me to buckle. However, just like any bully, he didn't count on me standing up to him.

1 comment:

  1. Take comfort in this: As a borderline public figure — the quotes in the newspapers, the pictures with President Bush, etc. — Prieto would have to prove malice. As you correctly note, the hyperbole was clear, making it that much harder for them to make a case. Jerry Falwell learned that the hard way when he sued Larry Flynt.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on anything you read here.

All comments must first be approved. Spam and spam links will not be tolerated or approved.